A software engineer/web developer with experience in startup and enterprise.
I like to follow the AGILE development process.
I also utilize:
Assertively apply modern best practices and coding standards.
Credibly streamline mission-critical values into functional / usable design.
Proven ability to lead and manage a wide variety of design and development projects in team and independent situations.
(including but not limited to...)
• Managing large scale migration of articles, galleries, videos, and images into WordPress.
• Managing upgrading from WordPress 5.8.x to 6.1.x while maintaining support for various themes/plugins.
• Assisted in migration over to WordPress and WPVIP. ( LINK: Read an article about this migration )
• Working with latest PHP ( 7.3.x, 7.4.x, 7.5.x, 8.0.x )
• PHP Code Sniffer.
• Built pipelines using Travis-CI.
• Using various AWS Services: API Gateway, SNS, SQS, Lambda, S3, DynamoDB
• Wrote a plugin for WordPress that sends events to an SNS Topic which powers various other micro services.
• Deployed Production infrastructure using Pulumi..
• Deployed Production infrastructure using Terraform.
• Handled creating various feeds in: XML, RSS, MRSS, JSON.
• Assisted in integrations into various 3rd party services such as:
• Apple News
• Google Home
• Apple TV
• Helped maintain backend system known as "Bridge" that migrates content to partners at Broadcast Interactive Media.
• Aided in the launch of 15 rebranded station sites.
• Maintained templates written using Apache Velocity.
• Extended core functionality for various station sites.
• Handled the upgrade of a deprecated Google AdMob SDK for Android L support
• Handled migration of Laravel 3 application to Laravel 4
• Utilized Composer packages to code a dynamic system that powers multiple domains with a custom coded theme system. This allows the company to rapidly release new pages with powerful functionality and design.
• Coded site authentication with oAuth support for Facebook and Twitter.
• Coded a deal system that allows for dynamic coupon creations on-the-fly.
• Retargeting code for engaging users based on activity on the website.
• Handled MailChimp mailing list.
• MandrilApp integration.
• Helped re-brand multiple sites / sister companies.
• Military user authentication (via ID.me) and discount system.
• Created back-end scrapers and front-end GUIs for various state data sites including: Broward County / Miami-Dade / Pasco County / Florida mugshots (http://mugshots.local10.com), Florida Restaurant Inspections and Emergency Closings (http://restaurantinspections.local10.com), Florida Sex Offenders (http://sexoffenders.local10.com), and many others. Of these, some included a hand-built RESTFUL API that powers mobile apps.
• Created a backend RESTFUL API for voting platform that allows secure transfer of JSON data between server and mobile app. This enabled features such as voting and registration from anywhere.
• iOS / Android apps for Voting Platform
• IIS installation, with MySQL support.
• Utilized IronRuby (a Ruby framework with .NET support) to create a cross-platform tool which read templates written in YAML and provided dialog-based applications for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Web.
• Helped refresh client websites, bringing modern designs back where sites may have lost their "luster."
• Renovated a footwear company’s stock system providing a better link between their warehouse and online shopping cart.
CVE-2018-10193 (mitre.org) | CVE-2018-10193 (VulnDB) | CVE-2018-10193 (nvd.nist.gov)
One of my old blog posts (no longer available) was front-page of news.ycombinator.com: https://news.ycombinator.com/front?day=2011-09-03 (scroll down to #29.)
Steve Birstok — [email protected] — (954) 667-9863